OPINION: Discussion on Dissent and Democracy in a University That is Opposed to Both
[Following is a press release by the Forum for Student Democracy.]
Jamia Millia Islamia today organized a session on ‘Democracy, dissent and movement for change’. Eminent social activist Aruna Roy, Nikhil Day, editor of Open Magazine Manu Joseph and JMI vice chancellor Najeeb Jung spoke all good words about democracy and Right to information.
Ironically the programme was organized in a campus where democracy doesn’t exists. Every voice of dissent is silenced in most unlawful and ‘bureaucratic barbaric’ manner. Every movement for democracy is crushed by using all force. Information seeked under RTI is declined on pretext of being blackmailed.
It should be remembered that in an earlier lecture on Democracy by Sitaram Yechury, a student who questioned stand of JMI was later harassed by JMI administration. May be this was the reason that during this programme no student dared to ask about democracy in JMI.
It should also be noted that the JMI doesn’t have a functional student body since 2006. Forum for student democracy is running a peaceful and democratic campaign for restoration of democracy.
Forum for Student Democracy is continuously fighting for resolution of Student Union. Also JMI administration declined to give information in reply to RTI’s filed by FSD saying the information may be used to blackmail the university.
After the programme a delegation from FSD met with Nikhil Day, Aruna Roy and Manu Joseph to tell them the real state of democracy in the campus. They were shocked to hear about JMI’s stand on democracy in the campus.
The FSD has now decided to connect with all activists across India fighting for a better democracy for cause of student Unions in campuses.
- Aruna Roy Speaks at Jamia on “Democracy, Dissent and Movements for Change”
- OPINION: Resist the Undeclared State of Emergency in Jamia
- OPINION: Democracy vs. Democracy
- OPINION: In Defense of Political Participation Among University Students
- OPINION: Whatever Happened to the Age-Old Tradition of Talimi Mela on Foundation Day?
About The Author
Jamia Journalemail: editor [at] jamiajournal.com
- Athul Biju on Jamia Polytechnic Rolls Back Fee Hike
- mohd faizan on Jamia Polytechnic Students Protest Against Fee Hike
- Jorge on From Gulistan-e-Ghalib to Gulistan-e-Rumi
- Rahmat Alam on Jamia Polytechnic Students Protest Against Fee Hike
- Naveen K Sharma on Justice and Judgement